We are T minus 24 hours before Rick (my husband's brother) arrives. There are three very important things to remember when you are preparing for Rick's visit.
|Summer sailing with Rick in Newport Harbor.|
2. Prepare your liver for many beverages. Rick has impeccable taste in the best wines and always introduces us to some incredible vineyards.
3. Try to lose 5 pounds before he comes because we gain at least 10 pounds back from all the amazing cooking. My husband and Rick love to cook together and I get to benefit the rewards of some really awesome meals. Their specialty is anything carnivore that can be smoked, grilled or roasted.
|Two Peas in a Pod (or a Duffy boat in this case).|
It was a year ago when Rick was last here and I remember all of us sitting around the dinner table discussing a cooking blog that I should start up...great ideas always happen around the family table.
|The fun in the kitchen never ends!!|
My husband and his family grew up in Southern California near a great BBQ restaurant called Wood Ranch BBQ. I really miss this place - must try to get one here in Colorado, especially with all the bbq lovers around the Rocky Mountains.
I love, love, love their coleslaw and get cravings for it now and again. This is the perfect and quick salad of fresh ingredients to get my energy level up for this week's visit.
Wood Ranch BBQ & Grill "Original Peanut Coleslaw"
Courtesy of food.com
- 1 (16 ounce) cabbage and carrot coleslaw mix, packaged, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups red cabbage, packaged, shredded
- 3/4 cup celery, finely sliced
- 1/3 cup green onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- garlic pepper seasoning
- 1 cup dry roasted peanuts
- In a large mixing bowl, combine coleslaw, red cabbage, celery and green onions.
- In a small bowl, whisk together wine vinegar, water, sugar, seasoned salt, garlic powder and oil.
- Mix dressing with coleslaw; stir in garlic pepper and peanuts and toss well.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.